Saturday, January 04, 2014

Cheesy Mushroom Muffins and Beany Tomato Soup

There was a terrible crisis precipitated by the discovery that I was making tomato soup for (late) dinner tonight and there were no bread or bread products obtainable in our little country town at 7pm. To pacify the revolting horde (aka my husband) I whipped up some quick muffins instead. They were devoured to cries of acclamation, although since I didn't eat any I can't personally vouch for them.

300 grams of plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup grated cheese
250g mushrooms
2 eggs
1/2 cup of olive oil
2/3 cup of milk
salt, pepper
Preheat oven to 180C. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Whizz the mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped. Stir mushrooms and cheese through flour. Beat liquid ingredients together then stir roughly through dry ingredients and spoon into muffin tins. Bake for 25 minutes.


May as well add my soup recipe as well.

2 onions, diced
1 carrot, diced (or grated if you want it to cook quicker)
1 stick celery, diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp chilli
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 bottle passata
1 bottle water (add more if necessary, which it will be if you use lentils)
tin of butter beans (normally I make this with 1 cup red lentils but I was going for speed tonight so used a tin of beans instead)

Saute everything sauteable. Add everything else and cook until is tender. Smoosh. Serve.

No comments: