Monday, September 27, 2010

Pork Sausage and Bean Casserole

I came up with this recipe last night to use up the pork and fennel sausages in the freezer. When I bought them a while ago I had a beany casserole in mind, but last night I had to figure out how to make it without potato, my casserole standby! This recipe was absolutely gorgeous, although next time I'll use more lemon juice, since the apple and cabbage gave it a natural earthy sweetness which could have been better balanced.

4 pork and fennel sausages
1 tin borlotti beans, rinsed
1 tin tomatoes
3 small onions, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2-3 sticks celery, diced [optional]
1 red apple, diced
1/8 red cabbage, shredded
400mL chicken stock
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp thyme and ½ tsp fennel seeds

Saute onions, add garlic. Parboil sausages, cool and dice. Add tomatoes, beans, celery (if using), apple and red cabbage, stock, lemon juice, thyme and fennel seeds. Cook til sauce is reduced.

No comments: